A bylaw is a law created by the local government, in our case the Town of Oyen, to meet the needs of citizens and resolve issues. Bylaws apply within the Town of Oyen limits. In Alberta, a local government’s powers and duties are given to them by the Province of Alberta under the Municipal Government Act . This includes the power to enact bylaws.

The Town may create bylaws for a municipal purpose in relation to those matters listed in the Municipal Government Act.

Matters include:

  • Public safety
  • Citizen health and welfare
  • Protection of private and public property
  • Nuisances and unsightly premises
  • Public places
  • Transportation
  • Business activities
  • Services provided by the Town
  • Utilities
  • Animals
  • Enforcement


Each year Council establishes a rate of taxation based on assessed values, sufficient to pay for those expenditures that are not recovered from other revenue sources. For 2017, the rate is $16.7163 per $1,000 of assessed value for residential taxpayers and $18.0303 per $1,000 for commercial and industrial taxpayers.

Tax payments are due July 31st of each year. Tax notices are usually mailed out by June 1st of each year. The due date is specified on the Tax Notices and is advertised two weeks before the tax deadline in the local newspaper.

Payments can be made directly to the Town Office during regular business hours, through Internet banking, or telephone banking. The Town accepts cash, cheques, money orders, and post dated cheques.



Property taxes collected from residential and non-residential properties are one of the various revenue sources available to the Town of Oyen to pay for municipal services.  Each year Council establishes a rate of taxation on assessed values, sufficient to pay for those expenditures that are not recovered from other revenue sources.  For 2017, the rate is $16.7163 per $1,000 of assessed value for residential taxpayers and $18.0303 per $1,000 for commercial and industrial taxpayers.


Property taxes in Oyen assist to pay for such services as:

  • Fire protection
  • Road Maintenance and Snow Clearing
  • Public Parks, the Baseball Diamonds, the Memorial Arena and the Aquatic Centre
  • Streetlights
  • Water and Sewer Infrastructure

How is my Tax Bill Calculated?

Each year, Town Council approves the amount of expenditure required to support Town services.  From this amount, sources of revenue other than property tax, such as license fees, user fees and provincial grants are subtracted.  The balance is the amount raised by property taxes.


Municipal property taxes are calculated using two factors:

  • Current years municipal budget
  • Town of Oyen’s total market value assessment


Tax Rate = Total Revenue (budget) required from property tax divided by the Total Assessment

Assessment & Taxation Timeline
  • May 26, 2017 – Assessment & Tax Notice Mailed to Residents
  • July 26, 2017 – Final Date to Submit an Assessment Complaint
  • July 31, 2017 – 2017 Property Taxes are Due
  • August 1, 2017 – 10% Penalty Applied to Outstanding Current Tax Balance
  • January 1, 2018 – 10% Penalty Applied to Current and Arrears Tax Balance

Tax Rates

To view the property tax rates, click the link below:

Contact Taxation

Town Office

201 Main Street

PO Box 360
Oyen, Alberta T0J 2J0

General Inquiries: 403-664-3511
Fax Line: 403-664-3712


What is the actual tax year?

Your annual tax notice covers the period from January 1 to December 31 of each year.

When are the tax notices mailed?

The annual tax notices are mailed in mid-May.

When are taxes due?

Taxes are due by July 31 of each year.  The Town of Oyen does not issue supplementary tax notices.

Can I make monthly payments for my taxes?

Yes. The Town of Oyen offers a Tax Installment Payment Plan (TIPP) by which you pay your taxes in monthly installments by pre-authorized transfer of funds from your bank account, rather than one single payment. You can apply for TIPP up to June 30 for the current year’s taxes.

Why am I being charged a penalty when I didn’t receive my tax notice?

Tax Notices are sent to the mailing address recorded at the Alberta Land Titles Office and it is the property owner’s responsibility to keep the Land Titles record accurate. Under the Municipal Government Act, once mailed, the tax notice is considered to have been received within seven days. In May of each year, the Town of Oyen advertises in the newspaper, reminding property owners that taxes are due. It is the responsibility of the property owner to ensure taxes are paid by the due date. Taxes are due July 31 of each year.

I have owned the property for only a few months, why am I being billed for the full year?

All charges on a tax account become the responsibility of the registered owner of the property. When you purchase a property, adjustments for taxes are made between the vendor and the purchaser.

Is there a discount for Seniors?

There is no discount on taxes for seniors. However, the Seniors Property Tax Deferral Program for Seniors has been established by the Government of Alberta. For more information, please see

The Seniors Property Tax Deferral program started in 2013 and will allow eligible senior homeowners to defer all or part of their property taxes through a low interest home equity loan with the Government of Alberta.

With this voluntary program, the Government of Alberta will pay the property taxes to the municipality on behalf of the senior, and the senior will repay the loan, with interest, when they sell their home or sooner if they choose.

The program will help support senior homeowners:

  • To remain in their homes as independent/active/contributing members of their communities
  • Help keep up to the rising cost of property taxes
  • Use the equity in their homes, as they are typically on a fixed income
  • Provide financial support for the entire property tax bill-municipal as well as the provincial education portions.

Senior homeowners wishing to take part in the program will need to complete an application form.  Application forms will be available online ( ) and through government offices throughout the province.  The City of Medicine Hat will also have the application.  Information guides will accompany applications to explain program rules and loan information.


If you have any questions please call the Town Office at 403-664-3511


General information about Utilities can be found below.  |  General information about Utilities can be found below.  |  General information about Utilities can be found below.


If you have any questions please call the Town Office at 403-664-3511


Oyen purchases water from the Henry Kroker Regional Water Commission. The water originates from the Red Deer River, is treated at the treatment plant at Sheerness, and then transported by pipeline to its member communities.  Link to: WATER EXCHANGE – OYEN


Meter Reading

Water meters are read electronically each month by the Town of Oyen.

We encourage residents to review their bill regularly and should you feel there is a significant discrepancy, please contact our Utilities Department at 403-664-3511 or by email at


Please refer to the Town of Oyen Rate & Fee Bylaw for the most current Water and Sewer rates. Sewer charges are based on the water consumption.

Connecting a New Utility Service

When you purchase a property, you need to complete a the Utility Application form and bring the form to the Town Office, 201 Main Street, providing your possession date and billing information.  When you sell your property you must request that a final bill be issued so that your account can be closed.  Please complete a Disconnection form and bring the form to the Town Office for processing.

If You Are a Renter

You are not the billing customer.  In the Town of Oyen the property owner is the billing customer and is responsible to ensure utility bills are paid. The property owner will decide whether or not they want you, the renter, to receive a copy of the bill.  Upon direction by the owner, a copy will be provided to you.

Notice to Landlords and Residents

If you have set up a different Utility Account or have moved to another property in Oyen, you now have a New Utility Account Number.  When paying your bill online, you must change the account number so your payment goes to your new account. Your bank can assist you in changing this number if needed.

You will find your new account number on the top right side of the bill. If you do not change the account number, the payment may be applied to the wrong account.

Electronic Billing Enrollment

The Town of Oyen is now offering electronic billing for the utility program!  If you would like to receive your utility bills by email, download the Consent Form and drop it off at the Town Office, 201 Main Street.


Why should I try to reduce my water usage?

Water is our most precious resource. Doing everything in our power to prevent water waste helps to conserve this vital resource while saving money.

Two main sources of water waste are leaks and the over-watering of lawns and gardens. For many properties, the first suspicion of a leak occurs when high water consumption is noticed on the water bill. Always check your water bill for abnormal consumption.

Should I read my meter?

You no longer have to read your own meter as the Public Works Department reads the entire town meters every month through a remote meter reading system.  In 2015, the Town underwent a water meter replacement project and every property (residential and commercial) had a new water meter installed.  For more information about the meter on your property see the T-10 Neptune Water Meter Product Sheet.

How do I read the dial on my Water Meter?

It’s easy –  to read your Neptune E-Coder register, expose the solar panel to sunlight or shine a bright light (i.e. flashlight or cell phone flashlight), and the display will activate.  Remember – you do not have to read your own meter, but it is recommended you occasionally check the read on your meter with the read on your utility bill.  For more detailed information on how to read your meter please click here.

Should I check for leaks?

Yes. Left long enough, even a slow undetected drip or silent leak can cost you hundreds of dollars a year. Make it a habit to check your home for leaks on a regular basis.

High volume water leaks often come from toilets. They are hard to detect and are usually caused by worn or misaligned parts.

A toilet that continues to run after flushing could be wasting 20-40 litres per hour – that’s 175,000 to 350,000 litres (175 to 350 cubic metres) per year, enough water to fill a swimming pool. Leaks can cost you up to several hundred dollars per year!

How do I check for leaks?

All of our water meters have a leak indicator icon  that is built into the meter that will show if your meter is registering a water leak.  The icon will be either solid or flashing if you have a leak.  The solid faucet indicates a continuous leak occurrence over the last 24 hrs.  The flashing faucet indicates an intermittent leak occurrence over the past 24 hrs.

Here a simple check you can do if your meter is indicating a leak:

Step 1 – Carefully remove the toilet tank lid. Place a dye tablet or some food coloring in the tank.

Step 2 – After 15 minutes, check the water in your toilet bowl. If the water is colored, you’ve got a leak. Toilet repairs may require the assistance of a plumber.

What are the biggest water-wasters?

The average Canadian uses 326 litres of water per day; this amount increases to 440 litres per day during the summer months.

Undetected leaks of all kinds can easily double your water bill or much worse in 30 days. In an average household, 30% of water is used for toilet flushing, 35% is used for showers/baths, 20% for laundry, 10% for cooking and drinking, 5% for cleaning.

Toilets are notorious for hidden or silent leaks, because leaks are seldom noticed unless the toilet “runs” after each flush. Check your toilets for leaks regularly. Replace old, inefficient or leaky toilets with HET (High Efficiency Toilets), Low-flush or Dual-flush toilets.

Outdoor Hoses. A thirsty garden uses a lot of water. The average garden hose has an output of 35 litres per minute. At this rate, running a hose or sprinkler for half-an-hour uses 1050 litres of water. Plus, if you accidentally leave your hose dribbling or dripping, you can waste an astounding amount of water.

Long Showers and high-flow faucets / showerheads. A 10-minute shower uses an average of 100 litres of water. Low-flow showerheads and faucets may reduce your usage in these areas by half.

How can I reduce my water usage?

It’s easy to find small ways around the house to reduce unnecessary water usage.

  •  Turn off the tap or reduce its flow when you are not actively using water to brush your teeth, wash your face or hands, or to rinse off soapy dishes. For a family, this small act will reduce your water usage by about 31 litres per day.
  • Installing HET, low-flush or dual-flush toilets will reduce water use by up t o 63 litres per person per day.
  • Run your dishwasher and washing machine only when they are fully loaded, reducing usage by about 132 litres of water a week.
  • Installing low-flow shower heads and having shorter showers will reduce this usage by up to 50 litres per 10-minute shower.
  • Get yourself a rain barrel or two to capture rainwater for use in the garden.

How can I use less water outside?

Most lawns receive far more water than they need for a healthy appearance. The key to watering lawns is to apply the water infrequently, yet thoroughly, creating a deep, well-rooted lawn that efficiently uses water stored in the soil.

A good rule of thumb is to apply 1-inch (2.5 cm) of water once a week, before 9:00 am, to avoid excessive evaporation. Set your sprinkler up so that you avoid watering patios, driveways and sidewalks.

Sweep your driveway and walkways instead of washing them with a hose. Check hoses and fittings regularly for leaks. Use rain barrels to capture rainwater for use in your garden.

If you have a small garden, using rainwater and a watering can to water plants individually avoids waste.

How do I create a water-efficient yard?

Most people tend to mow too often and to cut the grass too short. For typical grass species, mowing grass to a height of 2 1/2 to 3 inches (6-8 cm) and never cutting more than one-third of the grass length will encourage longer roots and shade the soil, reducing its temperature and moisture loss from evaporation.

Leave grass clippings on the lawn as they are an excellent source of vital nitrogen. Set your mower height to cut grass no lower than 2 1/2 to 3 inches (6-8 cm) for most types of grasses.

Avoid cutting the grass when it is wet. Alter the direction you mow each time you cut the grass. Keep the blades of your mower sharp – dull blades tear the grass leaving it open to disease and heat stress.

Traditional landscape design creates a constant battle against drought conditions, weed infestation, insect damage, drainage problems, trodden down lawns, and damage due to salt and oily runoff from sidewalks.

By taking advantage of plants which thrive under the various conditions which exist around your property, you can create a landscape that is dynamic, beautiful and easy to maintain.

Plant drought-resistant plants and grasses which require little or no watering during hot, dry periods. Many commonly available plants (especially established perennials) require no more water than that supplied by Mother Nature. Plant trees and shrubs – a shaded landscape is cooler and therefore, retains more water.

Trees and shrubs also provide natural wind breaks, reducing plant water loss from the drying effects of Alberta winds. (Some additional information can be found in CMHC’s “Household Guide to Water Efficiency”).

Where does our water come from?

Oyen purchases water from the Henry Kroeger Regional Water Commission. The water originates from the Red Deer River, is treated at the treatment plant at Sheerness, and then transported by pipeline to its member communities.

The Town of Oyen has a member of Council as its representative on the Commission.

How do I know my water is safe to drink?

Alberta’s program to protect our drinking water is the best in Canada! Alberta is the only province that requires ALL surface water to be filtered and disinfected before people drink it.

The main reason for treating or disinfecting public water supplies is to kill pathogens, which are disease-causing organisms transmitted by water. Alberta Environment regulates public waterworks systems in Alberta and works closely with Alberta Health & Wellness and regional health authorities to ensure Albertans continue to enjoy high-quality drinking water.

All waterworks systems, regardless of size, must meet the same treatment design and performance standards, and the same guidelines for drinking-water quality.

This means that it doesn’t matter if you are in a big city like Calgary, or a small town your water is treated to the same high-quality standards.


If you have any questions please call the Town Office at 403-664-3511


The Town sewer is currently serviced by 2 anaerobic cells, 1 facultative cell, and 1 storage cell. The lagoons were completed in 1989 and were designed for a life expectancy of fifty (50) years. The ponds were designed to accommodate population growth for several decades.



Please refer to the Town of Oyen Rate & Fee Bylaw for the most current Water and Sewer rates. Sewer charges are based on the water consumption.



If you have any questions please call the Town Office at 403-664-3511


Utilities – Garbage  |  Utilities – Garbage  |  Utilities – Garbage  |  Utilities – Garbage  |  Utilities – Garbage  |  Utilities – Garbage  |



Please refer to the Town of Oyen Rate & Fee Bylaw for the most current information on the collection and removal of Solid Waste and Refuse Material.



If you have any questions please call the Town Office at 403-664-3511


Currently Oyen has drop off sites for recycling of paper, glass, glossy magazines, and tin behind the Antelope Inn on 1st Avenue East. Cardboard can be recycled at the waste transfer station. Grass clippings and leaves can be placed in the compost site located by the fishing pond on 4A Avenue West. Glass & tin beverage containers may be returned to Oyen Container Depot on Railway Avenue East for appropriate refund.



Can I Recycle my Cell Phone?

Canada’s free recycling program for mobile devices and accessories

Why recycle? Keeping your cell phone out of the landfill helps your local ecosystem and the environment. Recycling your wireless device also decreases the need for raw materials that would otherwise be needed for manufacturing new products. A small effort on your part makes a big difference!

Link to Poster Information Here!


If you have any questions please call the Town Office at 403-664-3511


When do I need a Development Permit?

A Development Permit is written approval from the Town that your plans are in accordance with the Town of Oyen Land Use Bylaw regulations. No development, except those outlined below, shall be undertaken within the Municipality unless an application for it has been approved and a development permit has been issued. The cost of a Development Permit is $20.00.

It is NOT necessary to obtain a Development Permit prior to the commencement of the following developments:

(1) The carrying out of works of maintenance or repair to a building provided that such works: (a) do not include changes that would affect any of the regulations in this land use bylaw (i.e. Building footprint, setbacks, height, etc.);
(b) do not change the use, or intensity of use, of the structure and;
(c) any structural alterations shall require the appropriate safety codes permits.

(2) The completion of a building which could be prohibited by this Bylaw, but was lawfully begun on or before the date of the first official notice (Sections 606 and 692 of the Act) of this Bylaw provided that the building:
(a) is completed within 12 months of the notice; and
(b) complies with any development permit issued for it.

(3) The use of any such building as is referred to in subsection (2) for the purpose for which construction was commenced;

(4) The erection or construction or replacement of one (1) garden/tool shed per site, which does not exceed 9.29 m2 (100 sq. ft.) in floor area. Additional structures shall be considered a discretionary use;

(5) A temporary construction site building or storage structure, the sole purpose of which is incidental to the erection or alteration of a building, for which a permit was issued under this Bylaw and which is removed from the site upon completion of construction/alteration;

(6) The maintenance or repair of public works, services or utilities carried out by or on behalf of Federal, Provincial and Municipal public authorities on land which is publicly owned or controlled;

(7) The use of a building or part thereof as a temporary polling station for a Federal, Provincial, or Municipal election, referendum or plebiscite;

(8) The construction, maintenance and repair of private walkways, pathways, driveways, and similar works.

Building Permits

Building Permits are supplied through Palliser Regional Municipal Services and are calculated at a rate of $7.00 per $1,000.00 of construction costs (labor and materials included). Application forms are available at the Town of Oyen office.

Plumbing, Gas and Electrical permits are also supplied through Palliser Regional Municipal Services. Application forms are available at the Town of Oyen office.


Category Values 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 Grand Total
COMMERCIAL Permits Issued 5 4 1 3 3 16
Construction Value $1,686,284 $497,500 $20,000 $462,000 $16,900 $2,682,684
INSTITUTIONAL Permits Issued 1 2 1 4
Construction Value $35,000 $200,105 $458,600 $693,705
RESIDENTIAL Permits Issued 3 12 8 11 9 43
Construction Value $65,000 $268,300 $254,600 $922,469 $479,000 $1,989,369
Total Permits Issued 8 16 10 16 13 63
Total Construction Value $1,751,284 $765,800 $309,600 $1,584,573 $954,500 $5,365,757




Oyen provides educational services to area of over 4000 square kilometers

Oyen is a remarkably young community with 30% of its population under the age of 25. Almost three-quarters of those are school age or younger.

Oyen is part of the Prairie Rose Regional Division #8, headquartered in Dunmore (1-800-468-7023), and the Christ Redeemer Catholic Separate Regional School Division #3, headquartered in Okotoks (1-800-737-9383). The town provides educational services to residents of an area of over 4000 square kilometers. It is a center for education in the area.

Currently the community boasts two elementary schools: the Assumption Roman Catholic School (grades K-6) and the Oyen Public School (grades K-9), as well as the area’s only senior high school, South Central High. While emphasis is placed upon preparing students for post secondary education, qualified staff working with modern facilities and equipment also helps students to achieve excellence in business education, home economics, and industrial arts.

Extra-curricular activities are equally important. Teams from Oyen schools compete in regional and provincial sporting, academic, and cultural activities.

The Big Country Adult Learning Council (403-664-2060) provides a variety of learning opportunities for adults. Areas of programming include ESL, Community Issues, Employability Enhancement and General Interest (eg. Fitness, Crafts). Supervision of distance learning exams and post-secondary resources are also provided. The council also hosts an Adult Basic Literacy Education Program to help adults improve reading, writing and math skills.

The Town of Oyen is the centre for education in the area, offering residents both public and separate school options.

Oyen is part of the Prairie Rose School Division #8, headquartered in Dunmore: Tel: 1(800) 468-7023  |  Fax: (403) 528-2264.

Christ the Redeemer Catholic School headquartered in Okotoks: Tel: (403) 938-4575.


The Oyen Health Services encompasses Acute Care Continuing Care, 24 Hour Emergency Services, Community Care, Public Health, Dental, Optometry and other related services. We are very fortunate to be able to provide so many services locally.

Big Country Hospital is located at 312 3 Street E Oyen, Alberta | (403) 664-4300.

Oyen Medical Clinic is located at 314 3 Ave E, Oyen, Alberta | (403) 664-3577.

Community Health Services is located at 314 3 Ave E, Oyen, Alberta | (403) 664-3651.

Oyen Dental Clinic is located at 313 3 Ave E, Oyen, Alberta | (403) 664-3774.

Oyen Optometry Clinic is located at 103 1st Ave W, Oyen, AB | (403) 664-3300.

Oyen Value Drug Mart is located at 101 1st Ave E, Oyen, Alberta | (403) 664-3732.


313 3rd Avenue East (Dental Building)
(403) 664-2255

MaryAnn Purschke

Promoted year round and celebrated during National Volunteer Week. September is when the community holds an Activity Fair inviting all organizations to display booths with information on their organizations, and the opportunities available for volunteers to utilize their skills or develop new ones. If you have a passion and are looking for an outlet, contact our office to see if we can’t line you up with an organization that will provide you with an opportunity to develop that passion.



101 2nd Avenue West
Oyen, Alberta, Canada
Ph: (403) 664-3912

Reverend Catherine Holland
Sunday service 11:15am
First Sunday of the month 10:15am “Family God Time”


516 Main Street
Oyen, Alberta, Canada
Phone: (403) 664-2139
Fax: (403) 664-2744

Pastor Bernie Rist
Sunday School (all ages) 9:50am September thru May
Bible Club 9:50am
Sunday Morning Worship 10:50am
Bible Study: Thursday at 7:00pm


202 1st Avenue East
Oyen, Alberta, Canada
Phone: (403) 664-3987
Fax: (403) 664-3003

Reverend Helen Reed, Diaconal Minister
Worship time Sunday 11:15 a.m.


415 5th Avenue East
Oyen, Alberta, Canada
Ph: (403) 664-3603

Father Newton Rodridges
Thursday Mass 11:00 a.m.
Saturday Service 7:00pm


214 7th Avenue East
Oyen, Alberta, Canada
Ph: (403) 664-2126

Pastor Larry Lentz of Didsbury
Every second Saturday: Bible Study 10:30am
Service 11:30am


Residential Lots

Oyen has opened a new subdivision in the south end of town close to many of our recreation facilities – the new swimming pool, golf course, and ball diamonds, to name a few. These are large (65x110feet) fully serviced lots including curb & gutter (no sidewalks), and are listed at $35,000.00.

Commercial Lots

Currently the Town does not own any vacant commerical property; however there are privately developed commerical lots available for purchase. Please contact one of the local real estate agents or the Town Office (403) 664-3511 for further information.

Be sure to check with our local real estate agents as there may be privately owned lots available for purchase.

Local Real Estate Companies


No lots currently available through the Town of Oyen


Oyen offers its residents all the modern conveniences of a city with the addition of small town hospitality. Be sure to check out all the information on our website. If there are any unanswered questions, please be sure to phone or email us, and we will be happy to find the answers for you. The Oyen & District Chamber of Commerce along with the Oyen Family and Community Social Services/Communities in Action welcome all new comers to our community with a “Welcome to Oyen” potluck supper every fall to introduce you to the community and what is really meant by the phrase “Western Hospitality”. Watch the local newspaper (The Oyen Echo) for dates.

Town of Oyen Contact Information:

Phone (403) 664-3511


Acadia Foundation